Bus Conduct & Rules
Each school district has a defined policy around student conduct & bus rules in all district vehicles. The Elizabeth School District Policy JICC revised October 7, 2013 is specific about bus ridership. Click here for a link to the district policy.
Let us remember all of our policy rules and regulations around bus behavior and student management is rooted in bus safety: safety for riders, safety for drivers and safety for other motorists. The objective of bus behavior guidelines and student management is to ensure a safe bus ride by allowing the driver’s attention to be on operating the vehicle. In order for the school bus driver to safely operate the bus, it is essential that the student passengers behave in a controlled manner.
THE FOLLOWING ARE FUNDAMENTAL SAFETY RULES, WHICH IF BROKEN, WILL RESULT IN IMMEDIATE SUSPENSION OF TRANSPORTATION PRIVILEGES:
- Not following Driver Instructions.
- Abusive or confrontational language directed at driver.
- Aggressive physical contact.
- No bullying, intimidating or threatening of other students.
- Blatantly unsafe movements or actions on the bus.
- Display or use of harmful objects.
- Display or use of open flame or flammable substances.
- Possession of alcohol, tobacco products, or drugs.
- Tampering with Emergency Doors or windows.
- Causing damage or destruction to the bus. (Parents will be held financially responsible).
THE FOLLOWING ARE BASIC RULES, WHICH IF VIOLATED, WILL RESULT IN DISCIPLINARY ACTIONS BEING TAKEN THAT MAY RESULT IN THE LOSS OF TRANSPORTATION PRIVILEGES:
- Students are to remain seated when the bus is in motion, facing the front of the bus, with backs against the back of the seat and feet on the floor if possible.
- Students are expected to keep hands, feet and objects to themselves.
- Students are expected to keep their seating area free of trash, etc.
- No profane, foul or offensive language or gestures.
- No loud, boisterous talk, name calling or teasing.
- No open food or beverage containers (no eating or drinking)
- No glass objects, bottles or containers.
- No animals, birds, fish, insects or amphibians.
- Students are not to open or adjust windows without the drivers permission
- At no time should hands, feet, or possessions be put out of the windows
- Students must not throw paper or other objects inside or outside the bus.