In the state of Colorado all school districts, including Elizabeth Schools, are required to administer various tests to students: CMAS (Math, English Language Arts, Science and Social Studies), PSAT (preliminary College Admissions) and SAT(College Admissions) per C.R.S. 22-7-409. The 2022-2023 school year assessment dates are:
- CMAS English Language Arts - 3rd -8th grade (March 27 - April 28)
- CMAS Math – 3rd – 8th grade (March 27 - April 28)
- CMAS Science – 5th, 8th grade (April 10 – April 28)
- CMAS Science – 11th grade (April 3 – April 21)
- PSAT College Preparatory Exam – 9th – 10th grade (April 13, or 26)
- SAT College Entrance Exam – 11th grade (April 12 or April 25)
However, as provided for in state and federal law, and district policy, parents may excuse their student from taking the state mandated tests: CMAS, PSAT and SAT. While we encourage all students to participate and do their best, we support individual family choice.
As a district, each school uses the data gathered from these tests as one measure for determining student and curricular needs. For example, at elementary and middle levels, the state test scores are one measure utilized for G/T placement. At the High School the change to PSAT will provide better articulated data to support students on the SAT for college entrance as juniors.
If parents do determine they would like to opt their student out of taking these assessments, we encourage you to submit their requests for exemption at the earliest possible date each year so the schools may plan accordingly. If you wish to opt out your student please print and fill out this form and return to the school: